Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Is Homeschooling a Libertarian Idea? - Part III

I concluded my "conversation" with the commenter with this final thought, which illustrates the liberty children (and teachers) have when homeschooling - liberty that's difficult to find if not nonexistent in the school setting.

Here's an example of the kind of liberty homeschooled kids have. I don't know this family; I've never heard of them until I came across this blog entry. But this is very common, in my experience, when it comes to how homeschooling families function today.

http://fivejs.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/homeschooling-flexibility-in-action/

How many schoolkids have this kind of liberty? Frankly, how many school teachers have the liberty to discard their lesson plans because a better learning opportunity came up?


I just don't understand how a person can contend that forcing a child to sit in a school classroom 30 hours a week, 36 weeks a year, for most of their growing-up years, is in any way libertarian. Homeschooling, on the other hand, while not ALWAYS libertarian in the way it is executed, can certainly be done in such a way as to fit beautifully with libertarian ideas, and it generally IS done in a way that provides the child with far more liberty - both today and in the future - than a public school education can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to my blog!

And I want to add that, although I haven't had a chance yet to read a lot on your blog, I really like what you have to say so far.

I look forward to reading more!

Joy of Five J's

Marcy Muser said...

Joy,

I'm glad you've liked my blog so far. I thought you had a perfect illustration of the liberty our kids have being homeschooled.

I hope I see you here again. :)