Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Carnival of Homeschooling, Teacher In Service Edition

The latest Carnival of Homeschooling was posted today at Principled Discovery. And it's packed with great links: everything from helping your kids find a sport they can love, to literature from ancient Egypt, to how to get a free pass to your local museum on Saturday, September 29, and MUCH more!

Be sure to check out the top section, entitled "Motivation." The best link I found was the one to Little Homeschool on the Prairie's post entitled, "The Wood Between the Worlds," about the meaning of "home" in our culture. Her comment on our culture:
Home in our modern society has been deconstructed into little more than a way-station, a place to sleep and eat (and not always even to eat!) and watch TV and store your stuff before you go out into the real world and live your real life.

And her solution?
One of the essential elements of homeschooling, as a movement, as a philosophy, is the reconstruction of home and family life, of home as the hub, home as the place where the most significant interactions take place, home as the place around which the activities of life revolve. I have yet to meet a homeschooler, fundamentalist, atheist, or other, who doesn't seem to have at heart a profound concern for the restoration of genuine family and community life.
Be sure to follow the link and read the whole thing. It's worth clicking on, if only to understand what home has to do with "the wood between the worlds."

And take some time to look at the Carnival this week. You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

Hanley Family said...

Thank you, Marcy. And I agree...Rebecca's post was wonderful. As the hostess, I'm not allowed to pick favorites, but hers was one of them, anyway. : )

Marcy Muser said...

I've never hosted the Carnival; not sure I could since you're not supposed to mention your favorites! :) I like to read blogs that make me think, and Rebecca's post definitely did that. I had never read her blog, but after this post I'm definitely adding her to my favorites.

Thanks for hosting the Carnival. It looks like a lot of work, and you did a great job.