Thursday, July 05, 2007

C.S. Lewis Wrote Poems!

OK, I knew that C.S. had written prolifically, both fiction and nonfiction. But I don't think I ever realized he had written poems - and good ones! Over at The Common Room, "The EquusChick" has posted a copy of his "The Apologist's Evening Prayer." I knew I liked the poem as I read it, but knowing the author makes some of the phrases especially significant. I hope it speaks to you as it did to me.

From all my lame defeats and oh! much more
From all the victories that I seemed to score;
From cleverness shot forth on Thy behalf
At which, while angels weep, the audience laugh;
From all my proofs of Thy divinity,
Thou, who wouldst give no sign, deliver me.

Thoughts are but coins. Let me not trust instead
Of Thee, their thin-worn image of Thy head.
From all my thoughts, even from my thoughts of Thee,
O thou fair Silence, fall, and set me free.
Lord of the narrow gate and the needle's eye,
Take from me all my trumpery lest I die.

- CS Lewis

No comments: